Step by Step Instructions on How to Maintain Your Water Heater
Most everyone has a water heater in their home. You may not be aware that a water heater needs to be maintained to keep running properly in order to prolong the life of the water heater. At ER Plumbing, we repair and replace water heaters, but as a home owner, you should maintain your water heater annually to make sure you can get the most use out of your water heater.
Steps to Maintain Your Water Heater
Before you begin maintenance on your water heater, you need to make sure you have the right tools.
You will need:
- A garden hose
- Flathead screwdriver
- Pipe wrench
- Socket wrench with 1 1/16 inch head
This is the order of maintenance steps to perform on your water heater:
- Test the TPR (temperature-pressure-release) valve on your water heater
◦ Briefly open the valve on the side of the tank with a bucket underneath. Let some water out and if it continues running, it needs replaced.
- Check the anode rod
◦ Drain some water out of the drain cock.
◦ Use your 1 1/16” socket to loosen the rod’s hex bolt on top of the water heater
◦ Replace the rod if it is less than 1/2” thick or is coated with too much calcium build up.
- Drain your tank and wash away the sediment
◦ Drain all water
◦ Stir the sediment by briefly opening the cold water supply valve to let some water in. Drain again and repeat this until the water is clean coming out of the hose.
◦ Close the drain cock and refill the tank. Then you can turn the power on again.
- Adjust the temperature of your water heater
◦ Dial is located in the temperature dial casement
◦ Set the dial with a flat screwdriver to 120 degrees
- Insulate the pipes with self-adhesive 3/8” foam insulation for pipes. Insulate both cold and hot water pipes.
- Insulate the water heater
◦ Use an approved insulation for water heaters and cut appropriate holes to allow for the TPR valve and other pipes.
If you follow these steps, you can prolong the life of your water heater.
If you feel that you cannot properly maintain your water heater, please contact us at ER Plumbing to service your water heater unit before you have problem. We provide Charlotte hot water heater services along with other emergency and preventative plumbing services.