Did you know that the dishwasher is one of the most easily forgotten appliances that people maintain? Have you ever maintained or cleaned your dishwasher? Many people think that your dishwasher doesn’t need cleaned because if it’s cleaning your dishes, then it should clean itself, right? What you might not realize is that dishwashers can get deposits and debris built up and cause the performance to decline. ER Plumbing wants to educate you on how to properly clean and maintain a dishwasher.
Steps to Clean and Maintain a Dishwasher
The best way you can prevent build up in your dishwasher is to use it regularly. Running your dishwasher on a regular basis will help prevent debris from building up in it.
Steps for cleaning your dishwasher:
- After the last cycle of your dishwasher, empty it of the clean dishes.
- Inspect the spinning arms in the dishwasher and look at the holes. Some holes might be collecting build up.
- Clean the debris from the holes in the spinning arms using needle nose pliers, a toothpick or a skewer.
- Try not to scratch them
- If the holes are very small, you can clear it with a pipe cleaner
- Use a rag or sponge to wipe the edges around the door and seal.
- Some mild bleach or vinegar water can help eliminate mildew and bacteria build up.
- Wipe under the bottom of the door where water doesn’t clear it out.
- Check the drain at the bottom of the dishwasher
- Clear this drain of debris by removing the cover off the drain.
- Unplug the dishwasher by pulling the plug under the sink.
- Place tape over the opening for the drain to prevent debris from going into it.
- Use a cloth to remove food particles and debris.
- If there is broken glass in there, be sure to take caution when removing it.
- You may need to use a brush to loosen the debris.
- A good way to prevent debris building up is to never put any solid food into the dishwasher. Rinse your dishes before putting them in the dishwasher.
- Remove scale or hard water deposits
- Run your dishwasher empty and add lemon juice to help remove the deposits.
- Remember to refill your rinse aid once a month to prevent spots and build up on your dishes and dishwasher.
How to Properly Clean and Maintain a Dishwasher
This seems like a lot to remember, but you only have to perform the maintenance once every 6 months or as needed if you notice build up. ER Services can come take a look at your dishwasher if you aren’t sure how to take the drain cover apart or need your dishwasher looked at. Contact us today if you want to know more about how to properly clean and maintain a dishwasher.
Need Help With Your Charlotte Dishwasher?
Have a broken dishwasher? Need Charlotte dishwasher help? Need a new dishwasher Charlotte?
Need Charlotte Plumbing Services?
Are you interested in more information about plumbing contractors?
Looking to call a Charlotte emergency plumber?
Need assistance or advice regarding Charlotte plumbing service companies?
E.R. Services is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You don’t need to take time off work or wait until the morning because we never charge extra for nights or weekends. Just give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form.
Learn more about Charlotte emergency plumbing here.
Charlotte Plumbing Services at Your Service
Serving the Charlotte metro area, including Charlotte suburbs. Looking for Charlotte plumbing services? Mount Pleasant plumbing services? We’ll get the job done now and the job done right. 30+ years experience, fully staffed and committed to customer satisfaction.
Quick question & answer: How do I clean and maintain a dishwasher?
To clean and maintain a dishwasher, empty dishes after the cycle finishes. Inspect the spinning arms in the dishwasher and look at the holes for build up. Clean debris from the holes using needle nose pliers, a toothpick, or a skewer. Wipe the edges around the door and seal with a sponge, along with the bottom of the door.