Top 10 Water Heater Facts You Need to Know
If you're a homeowner, you need to know the following facts about your water heater. A few of these might surprise you, and some of them can save you money and keep you safe!
1. The average household uses approximately 64 gallons of water every day.
2. The average household spends between $400 and $600 (in energy costs) heating water each year.
3. Your expenses for heating water are most likely your second largest energy-related expense, making up about 14 percent to 18 percent of your utility bills.
4. There are five types of water heaters: tank, tankless, solar, indirect and heat pump. Most homes have traditional tank water heaters, but tankless water heaters are quickly gaining popularity because they last twice as long as tank heaters and are much more energy efficient. Another popular solution is the installation of a recirculation system, which boosts the effectiveness of your existing water heater to remote showers/faucets in the home (so you don't waste water waiting for the shower to heat up). Learn more about recirculation systems here.
5. You can choose your water heater by fuel type: electric, oil, geothermal, natural gas, propane and solar.
6. There are several factors you should consider when buying a new water heater: efficiency, cost, size and longevity. Learn how to determine what type and size of water heater you need here.
7. You can extend the life of your tank hot water heater if you flush the tank annually to remove sediment. This is not hard to do and will improve efficiency and longevity. Learn how here.
8. If you buy a new tankless water heater in 2016 (in the Charlotte area), you can get a $200 rebate. Learn more about the rebate here. Combine that with our $200 off coupon and you can get a tankless heater at a bargain price.
9. Not sure how old your water heater is? Your water heater is labeled with the manufacturing year. Learn how to read the metal tag on your water heater here.
10. The average tank water heater lasts 10-12 years, and the average tankless water heater lasts for 20 years. Tank heaters last longer if annual maintenance is performed (draining and flushing the tank), but tankless heaters do not require maintenance.
Charlotte Water Heater Services
Thinking about replacing your water heater? Looking for a Charlotte plumber to repair or perform maintenance on your water heater? We're happy to help!
Call 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form to ask questions or get Charlotte water heater service. We're open 24/7, 365 days a year, and we have 30 years of experience working with water heaters.
We serve the Charlotte metro area, so whether you're looking for a Huntersville water heater or a Pineville water heater, we'll take care of you! Anyone who lives within a 30-mile radius of Charlotte is considered in our area.
Got Questions for Charlotte Plumbers?
If you're looking for Do-It-Yourself advice, please check out our blog posts on water heaters and feel free to post questions on our advice column, ASK DAVE. Owner of E.R. Services Dave Parker answers questions on the forum, providing advice and offering input as requested.
Quick question & answer: What are the top 5 water heater facts?
The following are the top 5 water heater facts. The average household uses about 64 gallons of water each day and spends $400-$600 a year to heat it. Heating water makes up about 14-18% of your utility bill. The 5 types of water heaters are tank, tankless, solar, indirect, and heat pump.