Why Is My Water Heater Making a Rumbling Sound?
Does your water heater rumble? Are you getting concerned that something is wrong with your water heater? If your water heater is making rumbling noises, you’ll want to look into the cause of it and fix the problem.
Water Heater Rumbling
If your water heater is rumbling, you’ve got one of the following three things going on. Either:
- You have hard water scale build up inside your water heater tank. This means you have hard water, which can be treated with a water softener or a whole house water filtration system. It also means that hard water scale is already built up inside the tank of your water heater, which can make your water heater overheat.
- You have a build up of sediment in your tank other than hard water scale. If you don’t have hard water, you may have a build up of rust or other minerals from years of use. This also can cause your hot water heater to overheat.
- You have too much cold water entering the water heater tank at a time. This is not concerning – it just makes a noise. It can be corrected easily (adjustment of how much cold water goes into the tank at a time) and is not a big deal.
Why You Don’t Want Your Hot Water Heater to Overheat
Not sure what the big deal is about your water heater overheating? Check out this article about a woman whose water heater exploded and cause her apartment on fire.
You will want to get your water heater checked out if it’s rumbling, especially if:
- The water heater is over 10 years old
- The water heater has not been drained in the past year
- You have hard water or high mineral presence in your water
You may need your water heater drained, repaired or replaced.
Let ER Services of Charlotte Help You
Need Charlotte Plumbing Services?
Are you interested in more information about gas hot water heaters?
Looking to install a tankless water heater?
Need assistance or advice regarding a Rinnai water heater?
E.R. Services is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You don’t need to take time off work or wait until the morning because we never charge extra for nights or weekends. Just give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form.
Learn more about Charlotte tank water heaters here.
Charlotte Plumbing Services at Your Service
Serving the Charlotte metro area, including Charlotte suburbs. Looking for Charlotte plumbing services? Weddington plumbing services? We’ll get the job done now and the job done right. 30+ years experience, fully staffed and committed to customer satisfaction.
Win a Free New Tankless Water Heater
(Charlotte residents and 30 mile-radius only)
Of course, you can also enter our 2013 sweepstakes to win your choice of a new Rinnai tankless water heater or a new Pelican whole house water filtration system. Just click here and enter your name and email address to enter the contest. We'll be drawing the name of the winner on January 1st, 2014!
Best of luck to you!
Quick question & answer: Why is my water heater making a rumbling sound?
Your water heater is making a rumbling sound for one of the following three reasons. You may have hard water scale build up inside your water heater tank. You may have a buildup of sediment in your tank other than hard water scale. Lastly, you may have too much cold water entering the water heater tank at a time.