When should you replace your hot water heater? Do you know how long a hot water heater usually lasts, how to maintain your hot water heater, and why you’d replace a hot water heater? This simple primer will help you learn everything you need to know about hot water heater replacement.
When Should I Replace My Hot Water Heater?
Of course the obvious answer is you need to replace your hot water heater when you are no longer getting any hot water, but wise homeowners replace their hot water heaters before they give out entirely. Why is this?
- The average conventional (tank) hot water heater only works at full efficiency for 10-12 years
- Once the heater ages, its efficiency drops, meaning you may be paying a lot more than is necessary to get the hot water you need
- If you haven’t maintained your heater, it may give out or stop working at optimal levels a lot sooner than if you’ve been performing annual maintenance
- You may stand to save a great deal of money if you switch from your old, inefficient hot water heater to a tankless water heater
But How Do I Know If I Should Replace My Hot Water Heater Now?
The following are good indicators that it’s time to replace your hot water heater now:
- You’re not getting enough hot water to meet your family’s needs
- Your heater is over ten years old (check the date on the tank)
- You want to save money on energy savings (for example, switching to a tankless hot water heater can save you up to 50% on your energy costs)
- You want to take advantage of a rebate or offer (keep up with tax credits and rebates for water heaters by checking these two sites: Energy Star and Energy Savvy)
What Maintenance Should I Perform To Extend The Life Of My Hot Water Heater?
To keep your hot water heater working at optimal capacity, you need to:
- Annually drain your tank and flush the sediment from the tank
- Change the anode rod once every three years
How Big Of A Hot Water Heater Do I Need?
Here at ER Plumbing, we’re experts at calculating out what size and type water heater will best serve your family’s needs. Check out our simple hot water size calculator post and contact us for a consultation. We’ll show you all your options and help you choose the right hot water heater for your long term needs.
Need Charlotte Plumbing Services?
Are you interested in more information about a Charlotte NC Nortiz hot water heater?
Looking to purchase a Charlotte NC ondemand water heater?
Need assistance or advice regarding Charlotte tankless water heating systems?
E.R. Services is open 24/7, 365 days a year. You don’t need to take time off work or wait until the morning because we never charge extra for nights or weekends. Just give us a call at 704-269-1066 or use our online contact form.
Learn more about Charlotte tankless water heaters here.
Charlotte Plumbing Services at Your Service
Serving the Charlotte metro area, including Charlotte suburbs. Looking for Charlotte plumbing services? Ballentyne plumbing services? We’ll get the job done now and the job done right. 30+ years experience, fully staffed and committed to customer satisfaction.