Question: Can a gas leak in your house kill you?

Smell rotten eggs? Get out of the house; you've got a gas leak.

Answer: Yes, a gas leak in your house can kill you.

Although gas is perfectly safe to use for your home when controlled, it is a very dangerous substance once it leaks into your general air space. This is because appliances that use natural gas are structured such that the gas is burned up. When a gas leak occurs and the gas does not burn up completely (this usually happens when there is faulty installation or a ventilation problem), a byproduct becomes present in your air space: carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill you.

This is why a gas leak can kill you. A gas leak smells like rotten eggs.

What You Can Do

Get out of the house! Go across the street to be safe. Then call the gas company after you have safely made it out of the house and have them turn off the gas. Next call a professional and have them do an inspection for a gas leak. The leak could be minor or the gas line in the house could be leaking. Stay out of the house until the house has been inspected and it has been confirmed that the house is safe to enter.

Smell gas? Don’t hesitate. Get out of the house and call 704-846-5371 right away for Charlotte gas line leak detection and repair services. We look forward to keeping you and your family safe.

Learn More

Learn more about gas leaks and what to do if you smell gas.